Saturday, January 31, 2009

1988 Donruss Goodness - Part 1

Okay as I stated in my last post I would be opening some of everyone's favorite set of the 80's, 1988 Donruss. I will be tearing these bad boys open until I finish the set, so at a rate of 3 packs per post, we could be looking at 24 posts of this crap. Lucky for me no one reads this any way so I at least won't be scaring any of my (non)readers away. Actually there is no way I am blogging about every pack of this I break. I am going to do these first 3 and then I will open the rest in 3 pack bunches but only summarize them and not go into as much detail.

Pack 1

394 Ernie Whitt - A solid catcher for the Jays back in the 80's.

#384 Denny Walling - Utility player extrodinaire.

#374 Charles Hudson

#38 Jose Lind - Rated Rookie, was a bit of a flop in the league but not as much as the next guy.

#33 Shawn Abner - Rated Rookie and Super Flop, never played more than 97 games in a season or hit more than 3 HR's in a year either.

#90 Ted Higuera

#573 Don Robinson

#441 Greg Gagne

#308 Ken Caminiti - Rookie card of a guy who had a couple great steroid fueled years.

#298 Dave Winfield - Finally a hall of famer. A damn good one too.

#537 Charles Puleo

#528 Greg Cadaret

#395 Juan Berenguer

#385 Don Carman

375 Calvin Schiraldi

233 Dick Schofield - Solid SS for the California Angels in the early to mid 80's before he went from team to team to end his career.

Pack 2

#206 Buddy Bell - A solid player for quite a few years, and actually my first baseball glove had his signature in it, so bonus points for him.

#318 Keith Atherton - Look at those glasses, I still have a friend that rocks those transition lenses.

#306 Bill Long - 10.29 ERA in 1985 ouch.

#418 Mark Williamson

#31 Lance Johnson - Rated Rookie, a damn good leadoff hitter for a while with the White Sox and then in '96 had a banner year with the Mets hitting .333 while compiling 227 hits.

#284 Pete O'brien - A good 1B for the Rangers in the 80's. I remember looking at his stats as a kids and admiring his consistent 20 HR seasons. Pretty meaningless nowadays.

DK-18 Andy Van Slyke - One of my favorite players of the generation in all of his Diamond Kings glory.

#495 Mark Knudson

#384 Denny Walling - Look at that 2 packs in and already a duplicate.

#607 Harry Spilman - Who???

#597 Neil Allen

#93 Dave Righetti - All you Yankees fans know him.

#205 John Kruk - Solid player who weighed #190 on this card. Probably closer to #390 now.

#317 Mark Langston - One of the top "B" level pitchers of the generation. Great strikeout pitcher early in his career and had a couple real solid years later then with California.

Pack 3

#118 Sid Fernandez - One of my favorites from the '86 Mets. The first team I really loved.

#230 Alan Trammell - One of my favorite players of the 80's.

#342 Mel Hall - A solid contributor for a short while.

#606 Jim Gott

#104 Scott Bailes

#216 Dwight Evans - One of Boston's Greats

#327 Jeffery Leonard - Another good all around player

#316 Keith Hernandez - 1B for that '86 Mets Team I loved. A guy that really should get some consideration for the Hall.

#427 Greg Harris

#520 Jeff Ballard

BC-4 Mike Schmidt MVP - A Schmidt insert that really isn't an insert.

#615 Scott Lusader

#117 Chris Bosio - A solid contributor to the Brew Crew for a little while.

#229 Mike Marshall - My favorite Dodger growing up, and I didn't even like the Dodgers.

#341 Jose Gonzalez

Summary

So three packs in and I can't complain too much. I didn't pull many superstars, but I did get 44 different cards toward my set, and I bagged 2 HOF's, 3 Rated Rookies.



That is it for today, summaries for packs 4-9 will be posted tomorrow. Now everyone enjoy the rest of your night by ordering the Penn Vs. St. Pierre fight. Hopefully it lives up to the hype and is the fight of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment